WHITNEY HOUSTON: Another pop Icon lost


The Death of Whitney Houston has left many of us in a confused state.  Some wondering what happened, what went wrong, and why.  I too wonder what the answers to these questions are.  That I found myself like many people moving beyond seeking answers to the questions, and moving toward trying to preserve any and every thing I can possess of the greatest voice ever of the incomparable Whitney Houston.
 
The funny thing is I use the word incomparable, but the fact is that I am getting ready to compare Whitney and myself (How dare me?)   True Story:  On the day that Whitney Houston passed away, I was at my vocal coach's place (Johanna Boberg Studios), and we had been working on the song I Will Always Love You for the past 2 sessionsI believe that that song is one of Whitney Houston's biggest hits if not her biggest hit ever.  The crazy part is that we weren't working on it for any particular reason.  My mother just felt that I should train to sing in Whitney Houston's Key with the same vocal strength or more.  I can sing it in my key just fine, but my mom chose that song for whatever reason.  On that day Saturday February 11th around 1:00 p.m., I had the hardest time belting out the notes.  I never ever had this type of trouble before.  I felt like instead of belting a note, it felt like I was belting a foreign object.  Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be scary to think that this could have very well been the same moments that Ms. Houston was taking her final breaths?  So after the session, I went home and immediately turned on the television, and  I heard the very first announcements of her death (strange because I don't turn on the television).

I watched many of the Whitney Houston tributes all day, and I discovered that I have several things in common with Ms. Houston among them, Whitney Houston was the first artist to sing National Anthem and made it so popular, that it was even played on the radio, and the National Anthem was my very first solo public engagement;  Whitney sings in 5 Octaves (very rare), and I too sing in 5 Octaves; and finally Whitney Houston's mother made her study Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and Sarah Vaughan, and my mother has me studying those same artists.  Okay this isn't enough to say that we joined at the hip, I do believe that things happen for a reason, and when one Angel's journey is complete another begins.  Is now the time for me to begin?  I wonder what this all means.  I dare not say that it is my destiny to fill the shoes of Whitney Houston, but what if it is?  What if I am that Angel? I never imagined singing at that level ever....All I know is I had the most difficult time pushing out Whitney Houston's notes on Saturday, but on Sunday, I not only belted them with ease, but I ended it in the 5th (maybe 6th) octave, and I also know that If God says it is my time then there is nothing I can do or say about it.

Whitney Houston Performing the best ever National Anthem

http://youtu.be/wupsPg5H6aE


Me Singing The National Anthem at 15

http://youtu.be/pyaRgjy9Cdw